Friday, 27 April 2018

God Only Knows


The other night Ads and I were in the kitchen doing the washing up. The preferred combination (for me) is that I wash and he dry. He will often complain that I go too fast; it’s not a job I like to linger over.
We were listening to Radio 4. The kitchen radio is only ever tuned to Radio 4 or 6 Music and there was a repeat of the programme which chooses a song or piece of music and then features lots of people who talk about how that song is significant to them (I just googled it, it’s called Soul Music and the episode I’m talking about is here at the time of writing). The song in question was God Only Knows by the Beach Boys.
The song reminds me of the opening of Big Love, an American drama about a polygamous family in Utah, which I really enjoyed watching a few years ago (RIP Bill Paxton).
One of the contributors on Soul Music talked about how their mum and dad were listening to this track and the Dad said to his wife ‘this is for you, darling’.
Ads and I remarked on how interesting it would have been to have parents who said things like that to each other, because they were in love! I hope that we are those kinds of parents, no matter how embarrassing our children find it.
Although I find plenty of time for feeling sorry for myself, this was not one of those occasions it was more a feeling of curiosity. What would it feel like to have parents who loved each other? I guess I’ll never know, but it’s definitely what I will think about now when I hear that song.

No comments:

Post a Comment