Tuesday, 5 June 2018

Even on a Sunny Sunday in England


My dentist works at the weekend. As I arrived at 9.20am Sunday morning to finally have my annoying molar extracted there was already another patient waiting.
When my turn came, I asked how he felt about working on a Sunday. ‘Yes, a sunny Sunday. A sunny Sunday in England’ (he’s Greek) he said. He told me that he loves his work, and that he wouldn’t be there if he didn’t. I replayed his tone for signs of untruth and couldn’t find any. I think he genuinely loves dentistry.
As he pulled my tooth out (one of the weirdest experiences of my life so far) he looked at it and said ‘Ah, my beautiful root canal work’ with more than a tinge of sadness in his voice. Two appointments previously he’d been delighted to find a fourth canal in my tooth. Genuinely delighted- a chance to save it! As he stood there with my four-canaled molar held aloft I felt I’d let him down by not having a tooth which behaved, and apologised.
He waived the fee (I’ve seen him 14 times in four months and only paid one NHS charge and one emergency appointment charge) and sent me on my way with a hole in my gum, my tooth in a little bag and best wishes for all of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment